After their loss in the 2022 NBA Finals, the Boston Celtics will have the chance to start the 2022-23 NBA season with a win as they are set to play the opener of the new season in Boston against the Philadelphia 76ers. .
A clash between two Eastern Conference heavyweights, the Celtics and 76ers enter the new season as favorites to win the 2023 NBA Finals.
Starting with the Boston Celtics, a lot has happened since their appearance in the NBA Finals just four months ago. Not only has Ime Udoka been suspended indefinitely after a violation of team rules, leading to assistant Joe Mazzulla being named interim head coach, but the Celtics will be without veteran Danilo Gallinari and their defensive anchor. Robert Williams III due to knee injuries.
However, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown have proven they can carry the offensive load for the Celtics and Boston will get an extra boost this year with the addition of former Indiana Pacers guard Malcolm Brogdon.
As for the Philadelphia 76ers, Joel Embiid remains a favorite to win the Most Valuable Player award after finishing second in consecutive seasons and Tyrese Maxey and James Harden are a dynamic backcourt in Philadelphia.
PJ Tucker, Montrezl Harrell and De’Anthony Melton are the three new faces on this list who should be able to make an impact in their respective roles, Tobias Harris has returned to the wing for the Sixers and the 76ers are a much deeper team than they were a season ago, which is why title aspirations can never be higher in the “City of Brotherly Love!”
This game to open the 2022-23 NBA season should be filled with high-level play from some of the league’s best, but only one team will start the season with a win, as the other will no doubt end up with questions that will have to be answered.
The 2022-23 NBA season is about to begin and here’s how to watch Tuesday’s game with game and TV schedules, lineups, bios and other must-see details.
How to watch the 76ers vs Celtics
- WHO: Philadelphia 76ers (0-0) vs. Boston Celtics (0-0)
- WHEN: 7:30 p.m. ET, Tuesday, October 18, 2022
- WHERE: TD Garden, Boston, Massachusetts
- TV: DTT
- Stream: Fubo.tv CLICK HERE
Key stats and facts for the 76ers vs Celtics
- The Boston Celtics made their first NBA Finals appearance since 2010 last season after going 51-31 in the 2021-22 NBA regular season.
- The Philadelphia 76ers have made the Eastern Conference Semifinals four of the past five seasons and haven’t made the Eastern Conference Finals since 2001.
- The Celtics are 34-13 all-time at home in the opening games of the season.
- The 76ers are 12-14 all-time on the road in season openers.
- Playing four games against each other last season, the two teams won one away game and one home game.
Feb. 15, 2022 – Celtics 135, 76ers 87
Combining for 57 of their 135 total points, Jaylen Brown (29 points), Jayson Tatum (28 points) and the Boston Celtics made quick work of the Philadelphia 76ers in their final meeting of the 2021-22 season. Boston led by 17 points at halftime and they edged the 76ers by at least five points each quarter. Joel Embiid finished with 19 points, 9 rebounds and 6 assists for the 76ers in 26 total minutes. As a team, the Celtics shot 25-45 (55.6%) from three-pointers and they shot 46-82 (56.1%) from the floor.
Latest injury news:
Celtics: Danilo Gallinari (knee – ACL) – OUT, Robert Williams (knee) – OUT,
PROJECTED 76ERS STARTERS (2021-22 Regular Season Stats):
- James Harden6-foot-5 guard: 22.0 points, 7.7 rebounds, 10.3 assists
- Tyrese Maxeyguard 6-2: 17.5 points, 4.3 assists
- F Tobias Harris6-8 forward: 17.2 points, 6.8 rebounds
- F PJ Tucker6-5 forward: 7.6 points, 5.5 rebounds
- C Joel Embiid7-0 center: 30.6 points, 11.7 rebounds, 4.2 assists
PROJECTED CELTICS STARTERS (2021-22 regular season stats):
- Smart Marcusguard 6-3: 12.1 points, 5.9 assists
- G-Derrick Whiteguard 6-4: 13.2 points, 4.9 assists
- G/F Jaylen Brown6-6 fullback/forward: 23.6 points, 6.1 rebounds, 3.5 assists
- F Jayson Tatumforward 6-8: 26.9 points, 8.0 rebounds, 4.4 assists
- F/C Al Hoford6-9 forward/center: 10.2 points, 7.7 rebounds
- The Celtics are currently 2.5-point favorites over the 76ers on Monday night, according to FanDuel Sportsbook.
- The over/under for this match is currently set at 216 points in total.
To monitor :
- The Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers each won 51 games in the 2021-22 season.
- Boston is 264-195 against Philadelphia.
- 76ers center Joel Embiid has now finished second in consecutive NBA MVP voting after becoming the first center to lead the league in scoring since Shaquille O’Neal did so on the season. 1999-00.
- Celtics forward Jayson Tatum hit career highs in points (26.9), rebounds (8.0) and assists (4.4) a season ago and earned First-Team All-Time honors -NBA for the first time in his career.
- The winner of this game has bragging rights to say they won Game 1 of the 2022-23 NBA season.