If you’ve over-ordered Prime Day or ended up with unwanted purchases, it’s possible to get rewarded for your Amazon returns.
The big picture: Amazon said its two-day sale, which ended on Wednesday, was its “greatest of all time“, saving Prime members worldwide more than $1.7 billion. Still, it’s inevitable that shoppers will end up returning some items.
- Overall, around 20.1% of products ordered online are returned, but the return rate is higher during holidays and promotional periods, according to data analytics firm GlobalData.
Yes, but: The e-commerce giant offers several options for “return-eligible items”, but making returns at Kohl’s stores offers another perk – Free Kohl’s Cash.
What is happening: Kohl’s confirmed to Axios that it is currently offering a “$5 Kohl’s Cash promotional gift for Amazon returns nationwide.” Past promotions have included percentage off coupons.
- Kohl’s accepts eligible Amazon returns without a box and there is no need to print a return label.
To note : If you have one or more returns, you will typically earn one Kohl’s coupon per store visit.
- Kohl’s Cash is one of the retailer’s forms of coupon currency and is regularly given out on select purchases and through its loyalty program, Kohl’s Rewards.
Rollback: Kohl’s began accepting Amazon returns nationwide in July 2019.
- The partnership with Amazon helped Kohl get 2 million new customers in 2020, Kohl CEO Michelle Gass said last year.
Between the lines: Amazon return counters are usually at the back of the store — and in the case of two-tier second-floor locations — causing those with Amazon returns to walk through the store, increasing the chances of them making a purchase.
What they say : Neil Saunders, managing director of GlobalData’s retail division, told Axios that Kohl’s acceptance of returns from Amazon is helpful in driving traffic to stores.
- “Having said that, the key questions are how much of that footfall is incremental – that is, people who wouldn’t have been there anyway – and how many visitors continue to buy things at Kohl’s,” Saunders said.
- “In terms of increasing footfall, Kohl’s is definitely attracting additional shoppers through an Amazon returns counter,” he added. “In terms of additional sales, the results are more mixed.
Amazon returns to UPS and Whole Foods stores
Most Items Fulfilled by Amazon will benefit from a free return option, the retailer says.
How it works: All return options are displayed in the Returns Center on the Amazon website or app.
- “For customers who prefer to choose a packaged deposit option, that choice will remain in addition to other options, some of which may require a fee,” Amazon notes.
- Unboxed returns are accepted at UPS Stores and Whole Foods Market stores.