Man arrested in deadly shootout against teenager after Astros game

A man accused of shooting and killing a 17-year-old returning home after a Houston Astros game with his father and brother in an act of road rage has turned into authorities, police said Monday.

David Xavier Castro died on July 7 after being shot in the head and spending time on life support, according to his father, Paul Castro.

“One of the sweetest souls to walk the earth has been taken from us,” the father said in a Facebook post after his death. “David will be missed by a world that barely knew him.”

Gerald Wayne Williams was charged with murder after arriving at Houston Police Department headquarters with activist Quanell X on Monday.

Minutes after Williams’ arrest, Quanell X said the suspect was “concerned about his safety and about turning himself into law enforcement,” according to NBC Houston affiliate KPRC.

Justin Brown, a detective with the Houston Police Department’s Homicide Division, told the news station that Williams was on the department’s radar after authorities had several interactions with him following the shooting. Investigators said his cell phone tapes and a large number of tips were key pieces of evidence leading to his arrest.

A judge granted Williams $ 350,000 bail. If released, he must wear an ankle monitor and cannot drive without court permission.

Attempts to reach Williams were unsuccessful on Tuesday. We didn’t know if he had a lawyer.

David Castro was leaving an Astros game around 11 p.m. on July 6. Paul Castro was on his way home with his sons when they encountered a man in a white four-door Buick LaCrosse with a sunroof, police said.

The driver exchanged hand gestures with David’s father as they were stuck in slow traffic.

Police allege the driver followed the Castro family for several miles on Interstate 10 before pulling their truck soon after the two vehicles exited the freeway. Paul Castro and David’s brother were not injured in the shooting.

The driver of the Buick was driving aggressively and avoiding vehicles when he got stuck in traffic, according to Brown. When the driver unsuccessfully tried to merge into the same lane as Castro’s truck, he opened his door and yelled at Castro, he said.

Paul Castro, who worked more than 26 years in education as a teacher and principal, said he was grateful to everyone who helped identify his son’s alleged murderer.

“I understand that there has been a lot of tips that have come in and they have come because you have all been touched by this story and you could see your own children in my son, and so, thank you for l ‘have done,’ he said. at a press conference with Houston police on Monday.

“The fact that he went safely and did not put any member of the community in danger, any member of the police department in danger, is the answer to my prayers.”

Paul Castro said Williams’ peaceful surrender “just proves that love is greater than anger and hate,” but added the family still mourn the loss of their son.

“There are no words in English, and there shouldn’t be, to describe the pain we are going through right now,” he said.

Source link

Comments are closed.