News Journal archives for the week of September 19 include arrest of Patty Hearst and death of President Garfield

“Pages of history” features excerpts from the News Journal archives, including the Wilmington Morning News, the Morning News, the Every Evening and the Evening Journal.

September 19, 1975, The Morning News

SLA threesome Patty Hearst caught in San Francisco

Newspaper heiress Patricia Hearst and her three fugitive companions were captured without a fight in San Francisco yesterday, ending one of the longest and strangest manhunts in American history….

The sudden and unspectacular apprehension – by FBI agents and San Francisco police – provided a “moan” ending the violent history of the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Miss Hearst, the 21-year-old daughter of Randolph A. Hearst, president of the San Francisco Examiner, was held on $ 500,000 total bail on criminal charges in San Francisco and Los Angeles. His lawyer, Terence Hallinan, said his family would seek to provide the money….

Among those arrested, William Harris and his wife, Emily, are avowed members of SLA, the small terrorist group that claimed responsibility for the assassination of Marcus Foster, the principal of the black school in Oakland, Calif., and who then kidnapped Miss Hearst from her apartment in Berkeley on February 4, 1974….

Wendy Yoshimura, 32, was also arrested, who has never been identified as a member of the SLA, but who has been wanted since 1972 for storing a huge cache of explosives found in a Berkeley garage….

The Hearst case, or “Hernap,” as it was called in FBI offices across the country, caught the country’s attention from the start. Miss Hearst, a descendant of a publishing fortune, had been abducted – almost naked and with kicks and screams – from her Berkeley apartment in the middle of the night. A nation of viewers watched her parents’ ordeal, their pleas for her release – and later, after the bombshell of her claimed conversion to SLA terrorism – their pleas that she surrendered.

Miss Hearst, in one of many recorded messages sent to a radio station, announced on April 3, 1974 – 2 months after her kidnapping – that she was renouncing her family. The pretty young woman with tawny brown eyes spoke of obscenities and told her family that she was abandoning them to join the terrorist group to fight “the fascist insects that attack the lives of people”.

In a crowded courtroom 2.5 hours after her arrest, Miss Hearst was arraigned on charges of bank robbery and federal weapons violations. In addition to the charges against the state, which include kidnapping and theft, Miss Hearst faces a federal charge arising from her alleged role in the armed robbery of the Hibernia bank branch in San Francisco on April 15, 1974. She is also wanted in Los Angeles County on multiple felony charges, accused of shooting a sporting goods store in the suburb of Inglewood on May 16, 1974 to help Mr. Harris escape afterwards. that an employee caught him shoplifting. The kidnapping charges involved the kidnapping of a young man in Lynnwood, California. Authorities said Miss Hearst and the Harris’ took the man and his van. He was released safe and sound….

RECALL THE STORY:News Journal Archives, week of June 27

September 20, 1881, every evening

President Garfield is dead

President Garfield passed away at 10:35 pm last night thus ending his long suffering in the way it was clear for some time that only it could be ended….

Mrs. Garfield endured the difficult ordeal with great courage and showed unprecedented courage after her husband was shot over two months ago….

Front page of Every Evening for September 20, 1881.

Shortly after 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 2, the President entered the Baltimore & Potomac Railroad station in Washington, along with Secretary of State Blaine, about to join his wife at Long Branch for a extended trip. by the northern states. The President was well into the room when suddenly two pistol shots were heard and Mr. Garfield was seen staggering. At the same time, the unknown assassin, a poor-looking little man was trying to escape. Mr. Blaine rushed to attack him, but in an instant the disbeliever was grabbed by half a dozen men, and soon after, amid threats from the excited and stunned crowd, he was sent to prison.

During this time, the injured president fell to the ground and several medics were called. A hasty examination showed that a blow had had its effect, which entered on the right side, hitting the 11th rib, and burrowing….

The assassin was called Charles J. Guiteau and boldly proclaimed the premeditated nature of his act. He left letters showing that he had hoped to end the president and bring Vice President Arthur to power as a representative of Senator Roscoe Conkling and the Stalwarts. For a moment, the audience teamed up with a menacing growl at Mr. Conkling and his friends, but there was a sense of relief when it became apparent that the assassin, if not mad, at least represented only himself and his own disappointment in seeking a position. ….

After considerable variations in the President’s condition, he worsened on August 25 and the next day he appeared to be dying. On Saturday of this week, however, it started to improve and the improvement seemed to continue until Monday, September 5, when it was recognized that there were indications of malaria influences….

Contact reporter Ben Mace at [email protected]

Comments are closed.