Social Security: Five Ways To Apply For Benefits Online | Economic news
We continue to make it easier for you to access our programs and benefits. Our website provides a convenient way to apply for benefits online.
You can apply online for:
• Pension or Spouse Benefits – You must be at least 61 years and 9 months old and want your benefits to start in no more than four months. Apply at www.ssa.gov/retireonline.
• Disability benefits – You can use our online application, available at www.ssa.gov/disabilityonline, to apply for disability benefits if you:
• are 18 years of age or over;
• Do not currently collect benefits on your own social security file;
• Are unable to work due to a health problem that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death; and
• Have not been denied disability benefits in the past 60 days. If your request was recently denied, our online appeal request is a starting point for requesting a review of the decision we have made. Please visit www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/appeal.html.
• Supplementary Security Income (SSI) – SSI is a federal income program funded by general tax revenues and helps people with little or no income who are 65 years of age or older, blind or disabled. If you meet certain conditions, you can apply online at www.ssa.gov/benefits/ssi. If you are unable to apply online, call your local Social Security office to apply.
• Medicare – Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people 65 years of age or older, certain people under 65 who have a disability, and people with end-stage kidney disease. If you are not already receiving Social Security benefits, you must apply for health insurance three months before you turn 65 at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare.
• Additional Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs – People who need help with the cost of medications can request additional help at www.ssa.gov/i1020.